Hernia Mesh Lawsuits
Hernia repair is generally accomplished by a relatively minor operation with a short recovery period. Often, hernias are repaired using surgical mesh to fuse together the abdominal muscles which have become separated. While this procedure is meant to fix your hernia, this mesh can sometimes cause more problems than it solves. For example, in a recent case, a resident of New Mexico brought legal action against a manufacturer of hernia mesh following severe complications including abdominal pain, fluid build-up in the abdomen, and abdominal infection. If you have had surgery to repair a hernia in New Mexico and are experiencing complications with the mesh used for repair, Ron Bell Injury Lawyers may be able to help you pursue compensation.
What Complications Can Arise From Defective Hernia Mesh?
Hernia mesh can cause a variety of complications if the mesh turns out to be defective. The recipient of defective hernia mesh may experience severe complications such as:
- Intense pain – this can be experienced due to disintegration or migration of the mesh;
- Adhesion – where scar tissue at the site of the mesh knits body tissue together;
- Bowel perforation – where the hernia mesh punctures and enters the bowel;
- Bowel obstruction – caused by hernia mesh attaching to the intestines;
- Rejection – when the body interprets the hernia mesh as a foreign object and threat
- Infections – which require the hernia mesh to be surgically removed; and
- Migration – Movement of hernia mesh from its original location.
What Compensation Can I Recover From a Hernia Mesh Lawsuit?
If you find yourself the victim of an unsuccessful surgery involving defective surgical mesh, you may be entitled to recover compensation, or damages, for the pain, expense, and inconvenience that your surgery caused. A successful personal injury lawsuit may earn you compensation for:
- Medical costs such as surgical bills, overnight hospital stays, prescription medication, and rehabilitative therapy;
- Lost income from having to take time off of work to recover from your injuries;
- Pain and suffering which you experienced as a result of the failed hernia mesh; and
- Mental anguish which you suffered as a result of your injuries, such as depression, anxiety, or an inability to sleep.
Time is Limited; Speak With an Attorney as Soon as Possible
If you have suffered complications from the use of surgical mesh to repair your hernia, it’s important to speak with an attorney as soon as possible following the discovery of your complications. In New Mexico, the statute of limitations dictates that a person only has three years after the discovery in which to bring a suit against the manufacturer of the surgical mesh which caused your injuries. Three years may sound like a long time, but personal injury lawsuits can be very complicated and can require a significant amount of time to build a case. Don’t find yourself in a situation where it is too late to bring a lawsuit against the manufacturer of your hernia mesh. Contact a lawyer as soon as possible.
Suffering Complications From Hernia Mesh? We Can Help
If you’re dealing with the aftermath of a defective hernia surgery in New Mexico, you know how much your day-to-day life can be impacted. In addition to physical pain, the costs to repair the damage caused by defective hernia mesh can take a significant financial toll on your life. If you’re considering taking legal action following your hernia surgery, the team of attorneys at Ron Bell Injury Lawyers’ Albuquerque, New Mexico location is standing by to help you receive the compensation you deserve. Don’t wait until it is too late–schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys now. Fill out an online contact form or call (505) 898-BELL today.