What are Spinal Cord Injuries?
Spinal cord injuries are some of the most complex, dangerous, and sensitive injuries that surgeons diagnose, second to traumatic brain injuries (TBI). A victim who suffers an injury of this kind in a car accident, construction zone accident, or other type of accident faces a range of possible effects:
- Minor head/neck pain with few long-lasting consequences
- Reduced function of the eyes, ears, taste, speech, or limbs
- Paralysis of the feet, legs, hands, and/or arms
The spinal cord is the “information highway” that carries impulses from the body’s many systems to the brain and carries instructions from the brain to those systems. When that highway is damaged by an injury, the system fails, causing paralysis. The spinal cord itself is protected by the bones of the vertebrae, but a severe impact can crush the small bones or pierce between them, severing the sensitive cord inside. Because the spinal cord is so critical to the body’s function, it is critical to stabilize the victim immediately following an injury and do the following:
- Never move a victim with a possible spinal cord injury or ask him to move;
- Emergency response personnel use specialized techniques and equipment to prevent any further damage to the cord by crushed bones or foreign materials;
- Experts in spinal cord surgery minimize the long-term effects with advanced procedures; and
- Years of recovery and rehabilitation are often needed to restore function fully, and some damage is permanent.
Ron Bell personal injury firm offers Albuquerque, New Mexico residents top quality representation combined with compassion and experience. Accident victims in New Mexico should not take chances by not hiring an injury lawyer when seeking a financial settlement for a catastrophic injury. Because spinal cord injuries are so devastating and difficult to repair, they usually cost the victims very high amounts of money in the form of missed work, recovery and medical expenses, and often lifelong care in order to perform normal daily tasks.
New Mexico car accident victims who have sustained spinal cord injuries face a road to recovery that is very long, difficult, and expensive. These cases require a car accident lawyer with years of experience. Ron Bell and his team of legal professionals are compassionate, and understand how much documentation, evidence, and testimony it takes to convince an insurance company to pay. Call today for a free consultation with a Ron Bell injury attorney.