What documents are needed to apply for social security disability benefits?
Anyone looking to file for Social Security Disability benefits whether working with an attorney or filing on their own, must gather specific documents before applying. In order to ensure a fair evaluation of any disability claim, the proper disability application process must be followed. The following personal and medical documentation must be gathered prior to applying:
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card
- Proof of Citizenship and Permanent Resident Card (if born outside of US)
- Marriage Certificate
- Spouse Social Security Card
- If spouse is deceased; name and date of death
- Name and date of birth of all children living at home and unmarried
- Two years of employment history
- Names of all medical conditions
- Names of all medical centers, hospital, doctors, therapist, psychiatrist, etc… since the date of disability onset
- Names of all current medications and dosages
Having the list of items named above can help the social security disability (SSI) process go faster and more efficiently. Social Security (SSA) may require more information than is listed so be prepared to answer those questions truthfully.